Disruptors for a sustainable future
At Anew, we are passionate about delivering meaningful, measurable climate impact in a decarbonizing economy. Inspired by our values of integrity, trust, creativity, and hope, and grounded by decades of experience and unsurpassed knowledge in environmental markets, we make it possible for organizations and communities to thrive while building a sustainable future.
We’re seeking high-energy, creative team players eager to apply their talents to the defining challenge of our time. If you’re committed to excellence and excited by the prospect of doing well by doing good, we look forward to hearing from you.
General Summary: Anew seeks a dedicated forest industry professional to support the forest carbon modeling team through every stage of carbon project evaluation, implementation, verification, and monitoring. The successful candidate will have the unique mix of technical and practical skills necessary to both carry out the quantitative analyses central to forest carbon project development and synthesize the qualitative information that informs the technical components. Day-to-day responsibilities will cover a broad spectrum of activities to support the forest carbon modeling team such as conducting interviews on regional silvicultural practices, cleaning inventory data, liaising with inventory crews to answer questions, updating technical models for on-going projects, and supporting spatial data cleaning and analyses. The ideal candidate will be comfortable spending most of their time in the office but will enjoy occasional fieldwork at project locations across the nation. This is an excellent opportunity for an early or mid-level professional seeking a dynamic position in the center of the forest carbon market.
Primary Responsibilities and Competencies*:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Collaborate with forest carbon modeling team to balance multiple projects while meeting strict timelines
- Prepare tree data, spatial data, and information needed to model voluntary and compliance forest offset projects
- Prepare written project documents for verifiers, management, and stakeholders
- Update and maintain forest carbon inventory methodologies consistent with existing standards
- Estimate timber production and financial returns of alternative forest management plans
- Perform statistical analyses of inventory and other data sets
- Draft carbon project documentation
- Respond to verifier, registry, and/or CA ARB findings/questions
- Update existing carbon models for ongoing projects
- Conduct silvicultural research and conduct interviews with local experts across project regions
- Manage spatial databases and edit new project boundaries
- Analyze financial costs and benefits of carbon project development
- Compare financial returns of various forest management strategies
- Travel when necessary to project sites and/or conferences
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
Required Education, Experience and Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, or equivalent in forestry or forest sciences
- At least 1-year of experience in a forestry-related occupation
- Experience in forest management plans and/or harvest plan design
- Experience with FVS or similar growth and yield models
- Experience in ArcGIS mapping and analysis
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Experience cleaning and troubleshooting data
- Skilled in statistical analyses
Preferred Education, Qualifications & Experience:
- Master’s degree in forestry or forest sciences
- At least 3-years of experience in a forestry-related occupation
- Experience using at least one peer-reviewed forest growth simulation tool that applies to at least one North American forest type (e.g., Forest Vegetation Simulator, OSM)
- Experience developing, evaluating, and/or implementing forest management plans and/or harvest plan design
- Experience using databases, including experience using SQL (Structured Query Language) to query databases, analyze data, and create reports
- Familiarity or experience coding and managing scripts with R
- Experience with statistical analyses
- Knowledge of database management and manipulation
- Familiarity with remote sensing for forestry
- Knowledge of forest carbon policy, carbon protocols, and carbon accounting standards
- Strong interest in climate change and environmental issues
- FVS or other growth and yield models
- Excel, Access, Word, Powerpoint
- Familiarty with R
- Familiarity with GitHub
- Data cleaning Experience
- Spatial data management
- Strong written and communication Skills
- Highly self motivated
Anew is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, age, or criminal conviction for which a pardon has been granted, or any other protected category under federal, state, provincial and local laws governing workplace discrimination.
Anew is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives.